If you’ve logged in to the old DEFT site before, you don’t need to register again. Simply go to ‘Log in’ in the top-right corner of the deft.com.au site, and log in with your email address username. You will be emailed a temporary password and prompted to set a new password.
For a step-by-step guide, see the DEFT guide for payers.
Yes, we're still DEFT, and DEFT continues to be owned and operated by Macquarie Bank. We're the same service, we have just updated our site.
The new DEFT has been available since Monday, 15 May 2017.
No. We’ve migrated all data off the old DEFT platform and no longer support the old design. Please review our FAQs and the step-by-step DEFT guide for payers if you need help with a particular task in the new DEFT.
Most of the functionality is the same, it just looks and feels different.
- Works on desktop, tablet and mobile with the same features and design across all.
- A ‘My wallet’ section where you can save multiple cards and bank accounts so you don’t need to enter the details each time you make a payment.
- DEFT will now send you an email notification if your scheduled payment is declined or dishonoured.
- See all your DEFT reference numbers in the one place, with the ability to give them nicknames for easy identification and to remove ones that you no longer use.
- You can now close or deactivate your DEFT account if you no longer need it.
The new DEFT has not changed the DEFT reference number/s you use, the payment methods accepted, the fees or surcharges applicable, or the payment processing time.
Yes. Any scheduled payments you set up in the old DEFT will continue. You can check your scheduled payments in the new DEFT. Simply log in and select the ‘Scheduled payments’ tab.
No. Your payment history will still appear in the new DEFT. Log in to DEFT, and you will see the ‘Payment history’ screen. Unlike the old DEFT, this list shows all your past payments for all DEFT reference numbers that you pay, rather than per DEFT reference number. You can select ‘Filter history’ if you want to view your payment history for a particular DEFT reference number or to find a specific payment.
You can give us feedback on any aspect of the new DEFT site at any time. If you’re logged in to DEFT, select the ‘Contact us’ button. Or from the page you're on now, you can enter a message at the bottom of the page at ‘Request a follow up’. You can also call us on 1800 672 162 (overseas +61 2 8245 4499) Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5pm (Sydney time).
A system allowing easy, secure payments to your biller using a DEFT reference number.
You can make one-off payments by card, online or over the phone, without registering.
Alternatively, you can register for DEFT, which allows payments by card or bank account, online or over the phone. You can also make online payments that are one-off, future-dated, or recurring. Registering for DEFT provides additional benefits such as the ability to keep track of your payment history and easy management of multiple reference numbers. You will also receive email notifications when payments are made and when scheduled payments are unsuccessful.
Your DEFT reference number (DRN) is a unique number that your biller will give you. You can usually find it on your invoice, plastic card or letter from your biller. If you cannot find your DEFT reference number, please contact your biller.
No, you don't need to register for DEFT in order to make one off card payments online and over the phone.
Registering for DEFT allows you to pay by card or bank account and to set up scheduled payments. It also provides additional benefits such as the ability to keep track of your payment history and easy management of multiple reference numbers. You will receive email notifications when payments are made and when scheduled payments are unsuccessful.
For a step-by-step guide, see the DEFT guide for payers.
To create a DEFT account, follow these steps:
- Select Register now.
- Enter your name, email address and contact details. Your email address will be your username for logging in to DEFT.
- Select ‘I’m not a robot’ – and follow the prompts (this is a security feature).
- Select ‘Create account’.
- You will see a login page, and your temporary password will be sent to the email address you provided. Open your email, find the temporary password and enter it in the temporary password field on the login page. Select ‘Confirm’.
- Enter the temporary password again, and then create your own password. Select ‘Confirm’.
- On the ‘Personal information’ page, enter your details. All details are mandatory and are used to help identify you when you call us. Select ‘Start using DEFT’.
- You will see the DEFT homepage. You can make a payment or set up a scheduled payment right away by selecting the blue ‘Make a payment’ button.
Your email address is your DEFT username. You can only use an email address once to register for DEFT – each username must be unique.
If you get this message, it probably means you’ve already registered for DEFT. Go to the login page and enter your details. If you’ve forgotten your password, select ‘Forgot your password?’ to reset.
Note that you do not need to register a separate account for each DEFT reference number that you pay – you can pay multiple DEFT reference numbers from the one DEFT account.
If you don’t have access to an email address and a computer or mobile device with a reliable internet connection, you can register for DEFT and set up scheduled payments using our DEFT Payer Registration / Amendment form which is available here, or you can request one by calling us on 1800 672 162 (overseas +61 2 8245 4499) Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 5.00pm (Sydney time).
Yes. Each person will need to arrange their own payment, and if needed, each person can register for DEFT and pay to the same DEFT reference number.
No. You can only make payments from a bank account by registering for DEFT. Once you have a DEFT account you can add your bank account details and make a one-off payment now or in the future, or set up recurring payments to debit your bank account.